The BA is designed for engineered wood and solid sawn lumber applications. This top-flange hanger can carry medium loads with solid sawn lumber and higher loads with engineered wood products. The BA features minimum nailing with positive-angle nailing (PAN) to target moderate load conditions and maximum nailing to support higher loads.
- Cost-effective one-piece design compared to welded hangers
- A full-height joist flange that captures the top chord of the joist to prevent rotation and eliminate the need for web stiffeners
- Available for special order to accommodate sloped and/or skewed members
- 14 gauge or 12 gauge
- Galvanized. May be ordered hot-dip galvanized; specify HDG.
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes and nailer table.
- May be used for weld-on applications. The minimum size weld is a 2″-long fillet weld to each side of each top flange; weld size to match hanger material thickness. Distribute the weld equally on both top flanges. Welding eliminates the top and face nailing requirements. Consult the code for special considerations when welding galvanized steel. The area should be well-ventilated; see General Instructions for the Installer, note k for weld information. Weld-on applications produce the maximum allowable download listed. For uplift loads refer to technical bulletin Top-Flange Hanger Reductions for Multiple-Ply Headers (T-C-WELDUPLFT).
- BA min. nailing does not require web stiffeners. BA max. nailing requires the use of web stiffeners.
- Ledgers must be evaluated for each application separately. Check TF dimension, nail length and nail location on ledger.
- Refer to technical bulletin Sloped Joist in Non-Sloped Hangers (T-C-SLOPEJST) for information regarding load reductions on selected hangers which can be used without modification to support joists which have shallow slopes (≤ 3/4:12).
- Bevel-cut the carried member for skewed applications.
- Other widths are available; specify W dimension (the minimum W dimension is 1 9/16″).
- The coating on special BA hangers will depend on the manufacturing process used. Check with your Simpson Strong-Tie representative for details. Hot-dip galvanization available: specify HDG.
- For modified hangers, fastener quantity listed in tables may need to increase depending on joist size, skew and slope. All modified hangers are 12 ga.
- Hangers may be modified for slopes and/or skews up to 45º. The top flanges may be sloped as much as 35º and may be open or closed up to 30º. See Modifications and Associated Load Reductions below.