Column-to-beam connections often have multiple beams framing on top of a column. L, T and cross-column caps provide design solutions for this application.
- 7 gauge or 3 gauge depending on size
- Simpson Strong-Tie gray paint; also available in HDG
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes
- Bolt holes shall be a minimum of 1/32″ to a maximum of 1/16″ larger than bolt diameter (per 2015 and 2018 NDS 184.108.40.206)
- Many combinations of beam and post sizes can be manufactured. Refer to worksheet Options for Multiple-Beam, Bolted Column Caps (T-C-CCLTC-WS).
- The download shall be determined from the allowable loads for the unmodified product (see CC/ECC/ECCU column caps). The side beam can take a maximum of 40% of the download and shall not exceed 10,665 lb. The sum of the loads for the side beam(s) and main beam can not exceed the table load.
- Uplift loads do not apply for ECCL caps. For CCC and CCT, uplift loads from table apply for main beam only.
- The column width in the direction of the main beam width must be the same as the main beam width (W1).
- Specify the stirrup height from the top of the cap. The minimum side stirrup heights (H2 or H3) is 6 1/2″ (3 1/2″ for 44s).
- The L dimension may vary depending on the width of the side stirrup (W3 or W4).
- Column caps may be ordered without the column straps for field welding to a steel column. Specify CCOC/CCOT/ECCOL. Weld by Designer. Full loads apply.
- A CCC66 with W3 = 5 1/2″, H2 and H3 = 6 1/2″ is a CC66 column cap with 5 1/2″ beams on each side with all beam seats flush.
- An ECCLR66 with W3 = 3 5/8″, H2 = 7 1/2″ is an ECC66 end column cap with a 4x beam on the right side (specify direction left or right for stirrup) and stirrup seat 1″ below the cap seat.