The GU hangers are high-capacity girder hangers designed for situations where the header and joist are flush at the top. This part can be used for retrofit on the framing members after they are temporarily placed in position. It uses Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws to make installation fast and easy, with no predrilling required.
- See table
- Galvanized; HHGU — Simpson Strong-Tie gray paint
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- Install with 1/4″ x 2 1/2″ Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws, which are provided with the GUs. (Note: lag screws will not achieve the same loads.)
- Alternatively, the 1/4″ x 2 1/2″ Strong-Drive SDS face screws supplied with these hangers may be replaced with 1/4″ x 3 1/2″ SDS or 1/4″ x 5″ SDS screws for two-ply or three-ply LVL headers to transfer the hanger load to all plies. This alternate fastener option does not eliminate the need for uniform fastener requirements along the length of the multi-ply header.
- All multiple members must be fastened together to act as a single unit.
- Multiple member headers may require additional fasteners at the hanger locations. The quantity and location of the additional fasteners must be determined by the Designer.
- Hot-dip galvanized available. Order as “X” version; specify HDG.
- Other seat widths available. Order as “X” version; specify width.
- LGU, MGU, HGU and HHGU are available with one flange concealed. Specify flange to conceal.
- On LGU with W 3 1/4″ or less, MGU with W 4″ or less and HGU with W 4 11/16″ or less, flanges cannot be concealed.
- Allowable loads for one-flange-concealed option:
|LGU||1.00 of published load|
|MGU||0.88 of published load|
|HGU||0.75 of published load|
|HHGU||0.75 of published load|
- LGU, MGU, HGU, LGUM and HGUM hangers are available skewed up to 45°.
- Concealed flanges are not available with skewed models.
- Apply the following reduction factors to published loads:
|MGU/HGU less than 6″ wide||Square cut||0.75||0.65|
|MGU/HGU 6″ and wider||Bevel cut||0.80||0.55|